Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Lorne's final song


in March, we'll be doing an ANGEL SPECIAL dedicated to Andy Hallett's character, LORNE. The issue serves as a tribute to Andy as well as a final send-off for Lorne, too. It seemed to me the right thing to do would be to remove Lorne (not permanently permanently, mind you) from the main continuity rather than keep using him. And John Byrne, who was friendly with Andy, is going to tell the tale and illustrate it, too. It'll be a 48-page book with a full-length story as well as some tribute pieces to Andy and some other things, too. "Groo" himself, Mark Lutz, is also helping out on that end (and his character plays a pivotal role in the issue, as does Groo's dragon, Cordy). Here's JB's cover for the issue, colored by Eisner-winner Ronda Pattison.

7 comments:

DanielW said...

That's bittersweet and very touching.

angeliclestat said...

Looking forward to this. Really nice thing to do.

Tom said...

Well, I hope Lorne's removal turns out not to be permanent permanent. I'm looking forward to the book -- a 48-page John Byrne Lorne book sounds awesome and Andy Hallett deserves all the tributes one can pay him -- but I don't really see how it makes sense to acknowledge a man's death by ceasing to write any new stories involving a great character he portrayed on TV.

Anonymous said...

I agree 100% with Tom. Lorne should not cease to be just because Andy has, sadly, passed. That call makes no sense at all. Additionally, with Wesley and Cordy and Fred gone (except for flashbacks, visions, whatever) we need as many core members of Team Angel around as possible.

That said, I loved Byrne's recent Angel books (WWI and Frankenstein), this should be a winner too.

Matt said...

That's a great looking cover. John posted a page of art from this book way back in early November on his site.

http://www.byrnerobotics.com/forum/uploads/JohnByrne2/2009-11-02_085849_MUSIC.01.sneek.jpg

Chris Ryall said...

I hear you guys about not removing Lorne permanently--and I agree with you. However, it also feels like if we were to use Lorne frequently right now, pretty soon after Andy's passing, that that would be wrong, too. Like somehow we're capitalizing or profiting from his passing. So I want a "final" Lorne story for now, with proceeds going to Andy's foundation, but I'd never look to remove the character he and Joss created for good. Just want to be sensitive about things for now.

Anonymous said...

So, it does means we may see Lorne again I the futer?. And I mean not just like a flashback story, I mean future sotiers about him?.
I love this character, it's one of me most favourites in all comic, series, movie, etc. world; and it'll break my heart to think I'm not seeing him again.
I was devastated to hear of Andy's passing, but earsing the character forever doesn't seems to me a way to tribute his life and work, it'll just break our hearts twice.
Thank you for listtening.