Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Key Stroke

There are rarely Christmas card surprises any more (although some of the more confessional "here's how our year went" letters do raise an eyebrow). Still, the cards, which, while nice to receive, aren't usually the sorts of things that make your jaw drop. Which is why it was such a thrill to open a small package from Joe Hill and have it accomplish exactly that. Inside the package was this, an actual Skull Key from LOCKE & KEY, expertly designed by a gent named Israel Skelton and Skeleton Crew Studios.



The key sitting alongside tomorrow's L&K: HEAD GAMES #1 and the advance copy of issue 2 (in stores on February 4):



The key sitting next to the original piece of key art Gabe designed:



And finally, the key as shown by Gabriel Rodriguez, artist on the book, designer of the original key, and professional hand model:

7 comments:

GR said...

Just to be more accurate, I must admit that I'm only an "amateur" hand model...

Anonymous said...

Damn thats cool... I want one. :P

Chris Ryall said...

>Just to be more accurate, I must admit that I'm only an "amateur" hand model...

Well, then, you have preternatural poise, my friend. Fantastic work.

PatShand said...

What a fantastic gift.

And that is total hand model status. Natural handy grace.

Anonymous said...

man,that is wow,
Joe Hill is so cool,
so awaiting to read the first issue tomorrow,

what a swell gift to get,

all the best mate,

Jules said...

AWESOME KEY! I was hoping they would be made.... and possibly a collection of all the keys from the book.... SO HOW DO I GET ONE?

Anonymous said...

How many of these keys were made? I'd love to buy one, Locke and Key is the one book I read immediately after buying. Hill and Rodriguez and Fotos are doing awesome work.